LOCAL NEWS, STATE NEWS

Nov. 28 is Deadline for Eligible Entities to Request Public Assistance Funding for September Flooding

Getting disaster aid quickly into the hands of eligible applicants affected by Sept. 15-26 flooding in New Mexico starts with the first step – informing state and federal recovery officials that Public Assistance funding is needed.

State agencies, tribal governments, certain nonprofit organizations, community ditch associations and other local government entities in Colfax, Eddy, Lincoln, Lea, Otero, Santa Fe and Sierra counties affected by the September floods have until Friday, Nov. 28, to submit the appropriate forms to the New Mexico Department of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (NM DHSEM).

Officials who have questions about making a Request for Public Assistance and upcoming Applicant Briefing schedules should contact Brian Williams at (505) 476-9601.

Federal grants are reimbursed to eligible applicants for emergency protective measures, debris removal, and the repairing of public infrastructure, including roads, bridges and public utilities. Under a cost-sharing formula, FEMA pays 75 percent of the total costs, while the state and/or applicant are responsible for the remaining 25 percent. Find details of the Public Assistance program at www.fema.gov/government/grant/pa/index.shtm.

“The first step to getting disaster aid is for eligible entities to let us know that they need the assistance,” said State Coordinating Officer Beverley Simpson.

“The quicker we know which agencies, governments, organizations and associations are requesting Public Assistance, the quicker the process results in much needed funding in the hands of these impacted entities,” said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Nancy Casper.

More information on New Mexico disaster recovery is available online at www.nmdhsem.org/. DHSEM is the state’s homeland security and emergency management agency. The agency works to identify and lessen the effects of emergencies, disasters and threats to New Mexico by developing effective prevention, preparedness, mitigation, response and recovery actions for all disasters and emergencies. Follow DHSEM on Twitter @NMDHSEM.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that, as a nation, we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards. Find more information at www.fema.gov/disaster/4199. Follow FEMA Region 6 on Twitter @femaregion6.

Discussion

Comments are closed.

SPONSORED AD

Sabre Design

Website Developed by Sabre Design

wordpress statistics
%d bloggers like this: